Joy-the changing city




This poem was born because I was told by one of my enthusiastic friends to write something of the city I live in…that was the time when I had just discovered I could write quite decent pieces (credit goes to the my illustrated presidency college, Kolkata)…there is a little story behind this piece.’ It was born on the move’. I was waiting at the metro station and the idea came to me…the dumdum-bound train arrived, I struggled my way in, found a seat to squeeze in, took out my note book and started scribbling my mind out…stopped my rushing pen on reaching my destination-the mad rush…dashing up the station steps-half running to my college-the classes-the library trip-the quick snack-the little gossip heard over the shoulder…grasping the essence of
“My echoing song: then worms shall try
That long preserved virginity,
And your quaint honour turn to dust,
And into ashes all my lust:
The grave's a fine and private place,
But none, I think, do there embrace.”
(To his coy mistress-Andrew Marvell)
So on and so forth-until getting bored and rediscovering my morning scribbled madness…
It is that madness I am sharing now will you all….

JOY-THE CHANGING CITY

As the night creeps slowly and slowly…
My world slips into half slumber,
-Never had a chance of complete relaxation.
-The tubes still rushing under my feet.
-The jet still flying above my head.
-The street lights glaring by my sides.
I begin to doze off still.

Interrupted now and then by a burglar alarm
-Jostled by some heart renting fatal cry.
Intoxicated by the laser beams-
-Of charming awaking night life.
I think of closing my tired eyes.
Yellow taxis whiz past.
Some giggling cries in the dark dead lanes.
I turn myself from one side to other.

‘Joy’ whispered some soothing hand,
“Sleep for some hours”.
I mumble words in my mind,
“Sleep for some hours”.


‘Joy’, she calls me ‘joy’,
As I sleep through the night
I grow; I swell, expand, and explode
I prepare myself for the coming dawn.
As the night recedes, the sun glares up.
And I christen myself anew-
‘Joy’- ‘the city of joy’.

0 comments: